Loading

The Painful First Blog

I thought it would be a great idea to start a blog and tell the wayward few what I think about almost anything going on in the world today. Those wayward few could then comment and more will come, and they will join and everyone who drops by will do the same. Eventually maybe we would stimulate some discussion that will improve the environment, save children, stop chemical pollution, lower fuel prices, increase free time, spread love, feed the poor, expose hypocracy in government regulation... you know, all good stuff.

Of course there came that dream of making some money from it all too (sound familiar?) but for that  I needed some help, and the quicker the better - ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income - because it meant I was going to have to figure out the how to's of using tools like Google AdSense, or how to join some kind of Affiliate program with a Web Host or a big online Pay Per Click Company or Bookseller - come to think of it that's a good combo isn't it. All us new bloggers can get our free domain name and then dig up books about the very problems we're stuck on, right on the cyber-spot. And if we're lucky we can connect with a seller with a social conscience, and good inventory, and of course as cheap as possible :-)... Get 3 used books for $10, 4 for $12 and 5 for $15 with the Better World Books Bargain Bin. Free shipping worldwide.

Anyway, good intentions are one thing, commitment is another. Starting a new blog is about as easy as getting a two-year-old to snap its fingers. I signed up and turned off. That is, I remember trying right away to get the template to look decent and getting nowhere but frustrated as can be. I went away...

That was only the first problem though, not being able to remember my username OR password when I came back so I could get into my account and say something to get the ball rolling would probably be the a common problem for us newbies, but by no means the worst problem. No not me, for me it was remembering I had started a blog and applied for AdSense!

You see it's been a few months now, yep months! In the meantime my Adsense account had been originally approved, but when I got on here and posted and started laying it all out... 'BOINK' I got error messages, "your Adsense account is denied" or something like that. Well after the panic subsided and I read the FAQs I found out I should check my email for the reason... and there it was... insufficient content. At first I had thought I was dumped because I just finished registering for a new account and when I logged in it told me I already have an account! Well I thought right away there was going to be trouble because when I just moments before applied I had forgotten about this Blogger account and checked the "I don't have another account" box. Well what could I do... hope and fear.. but all had seemed to be going well until the previously described "BOINK."

Okay, fair enough, they need to be able to read something before they can appropriate some ads, so I'm not bitter. I am worried about how much is too little though. On the other hand it has me writing again, one of my favourite hobbies. I wonder how many of us go through such agony?

The good news is that I found out in the following 24 hours that there are maaaany other options, with some cool stuff - like the ad for saving money for your kids college fund with your everyday shopping (over there on the left).

In the same 24 hours I also rocketed right up the learning curve digging and searching and grinding away through hours of trial and error until I even learned how to change page layouts for static pages without affecting the main pages. Don't worry, it baffled me at first too but it will come. I have to admit though, I'm already going to check out this ad for myself, (seriously I am)
But I digress...

And really that's the beauty of it isn't it; the blog being a free-thought kind of thing. Our first post doesn't have to be the one that saves the world - at least not in one step; my first post on the new blog is just a way to say "hey, what do you have to say about...?"

I invite you to start talking; comment, say anything, but please say it politely.




No comments:

Post a Comment