Loading

Google Custom Search Engine has its pros, but there's one annoying design oversight...

I'm using the Google Custom Searchbox on my web pages because it does offer users a way to tailor a search theme to their web theme and it is somewhat flexible in design - though frankly I'm more for the old-fashioned hard coding. I really played around with this and tried out the various styles etc., but the more I tried to fix the issue, the more frustrated I became. Just because of that annoying little x beside the "Search" button - yes, look very closely, it's there - for clearing the results and thereby setting focus back onto my pages. I can't understand why they have stuck us with that tiny-cramped-into-obscurity-against-the-search-button tiny little x.

In my frustration I find myself believing it was intentional, to keep the visitor moving along into googles own ad arena instead of staying on my site. It really couldn't be all that difficult to place a matching little button about 1/4 width of the adjacent search button that users will notice - even subliminally - and instinctively click to clear the results and view my page again.

Then I would feel Google really was thinking of me in the master plan.




No comments:

Post a Comment